Wednesday 7 August 2013

New Record


Having only an hour to spare this afternoon I decided to check upon a couple of boxes near to Comberbach. The first box contained the now customary Stock Doves but I could see that the second one contained an owl as I approached it. Care was needed not to disturb the bird before I got there and I was delighted to discover this roosting male inside the box.

He was in superb condition and was already ringed. Upon checking my notes I discovered that I had ringed him as a chick in July 2004 just a few miles away in Pickmere. As a bird in his tenth year he becomes the oldest owl that I have ever recovered; my previous best being a seven year old bird. Most Barn Owls do not live beyond five years in the wild and so he represents an amazing success story.




No comments:

Post a Comment